Welcome!

This is a document of my successes (and failures...) of wheat free and dairy free recipes along with some random bits from the interweb that keep me entertained

Monday 14 February 2011

Apple Flapjacks

At the request of a friend on a Facebook post - I decided to have a go at making some flapjacks. Sadly - my baking cupboard was a little bare and I could not be bothered to brave the rainy and miserable outside world so relied on bits and pieces hanging around the baking cupboard. They are still wheat free and dairy free, but the oats were not gluten free.

Ingredients:

1 cup pure
1 cup mixture of brown sugar and granulated sugar (should have been caster, but I was all out)
1/2 cup golden syrup
3 apples grated (I used some sweet red ones for the market. Next time I would use quite tart apples as the sugar and syrup makes the flapjacks so sweet anyway)
5 1/2 cups rolled oats
Sprinkle of cinnamon 


To Make:
  • Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius
  • Line a rectangular baking tray with greaseproof paper
  • Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan on low heat
  • Once the mixture is melted add the grated apple and cinnamon then cook till the apple is soft and coated in the mixture
  • Put the oats in a mixing bowl and pour in the apple mixture then mix till all combined
  • Put the combined mixture into the lined baking tray and flatten it out as much as you can
  • Put into the oven till the top is a lightly golden colour (mine took about 25minutes)
  • Remove from the oven and put onto a board to cool
  • Once cooled cut into squares or rectangles and get eating!
Flapjack straight out of the oven cooling

Flapjacks cut up and ready to eat

My flatmates, and my friends flatmates enjoyed these - but I don't think the taste of the apple was strong enough. Next time I'm going to add an extra 1-2 apples and have tart ones instead of sweet ones, and also use caster sugar not brown and granulated. I may experiment and mix the golden syrup with honey as well.... But that is just getting picky...

I would count these as a success as there is virtually nothing left but crumbs, but not as successful as I would like. With more apple and some slight adjustments I think they will be even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment