Welcome!

This is a document of my successes (and failures...) of wheat free and dairy free recipes along with some random bits from the interweb that keep me entertained

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Vanilla and Blueberry Pound Cake

A good friend of mine recently went into hospital with DBT. Whilst I was in hospital last year with appendicitis I found out just how dire hospital food is so decided to bake her something nice to eat so she wouldn't fade away to nothing. She is also a fellow wheat and dairy free person so it couldn't have either in, plus it would need to be something that didn't require a fridge or freezer and would still be good for a few days. After some contemplation, and a lot of digging around recipe sites, I decided on a Vanilla Pound Cake.

The basis of the recipe was from Joy Of Baking and then altered to remove all of the nasties (wheat and dairy - there are no other nasties in there!)

Ingredients:

3 large eggs - straight out of the fridge (none of this room temperature malarky - I'm a busy girl!)
3 tablespoons Alpro Soy light soy milk - also straight from the fridge
2  teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (150 grams) Doves wheat and gluten free flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Tiny pinch salt
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
13 tablespoons Pure soy spread - from the fridge too
Squeeze of Lyle's golden syrup
1/2 punnet of blueberries

How To Make:
  • Pre-heat oven to 180degrees (fan forced and Celcius)
  • Rub Pure soy spread over your chosen cake tin (I used a loaf tin, but you could also use a small square cake tin or a ring)
  • Luckily my flat recently got a food processor so I literally put everything into it (except the blueberries) and whizzed till everything was combined. If you don't have a food processor or electric beaters - sift all the dry ingredients together then combine in the wet ones. 
  • Once the mix is smooth and lump free mix in the blueberries softly - you don't want to squash them
  • Pour into your desired cake tin and put it in the oven
  • Mine took 55mins to cook through - depending on your oven and cake tin yours may vary so use a skewer or a really thin knife if you don't have one and insert into the middle. If it comes out clean - your cake is done!
My friend loved her cake, and her mum even asked me for the recipe so I'm taking this one as a success.

Sadly though I forgot to take a photo - but it looked very similar to the below:



Enjoy baking!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I've been getting into baking a lot more recently (well, cooking in general), so I will keep checking back for more recipe ideas...x

    ReplyDelete