Welcome!

This is a document of my successes (and failures...) of wheat free and dairy free recipes along with some random bits from the interweb that keep me entertained

Thursday 17 February 2011

Taylor's Guacamole

I am a big fan of snacking... Anyone who's spent more than 3 hours with me knows this.

When I found out I couldn't have dairy anymore I was very upset at the loss of tzatziki so went on a hunt for a replacement. After eating my body weight in hummus I got a wee bit sick of it so went on the hunt for something else and rediscovered my love of guacamole. Most shop bought ones have sour cream or some form of dairy in them so I decided to make my own batch. Sadly I was missing one of the ingredients so the one I have photos of is missing the corriander - but still tasted delicious, but even better with it!



Ingredients:

2-3 avacados (soft ones for squishing!)
Chilli (how many depends on how hot you like it)
1-2 cloves garlic
Fresh corriander (this batch was missing as my local supermarket had run out! Tastes much better with some. You could use dried corriander but I find it doesn't taste the same)
1 lemon
1 lime
1 tomato
Some pepper (any colour/colours)
1 small onion (I prefer red)
Salt and pepper (I prefer sea salt and course black pepper)
Optional:
You can add in other spices to your taste such as paprika, or general mexican spice mixes
If you want to make it creamier you can also add in some dairy free cream cheese

How To Make:
With food processor/blitzer:
  • Put the avacado, chilli, garlic, squeeze of lime and lemon and some zest and blitz till all combined and smooth (also add in any extra spices that take your fancy)
  • Chop up the rest of the veg and the corriander into tiny pieces and mix in along with the dairy free cream cheese if you decide to add some in
  • Season to taste
  • Eat with corn chips, rice cakes, ryvitas, etc...
By hand:
  • Smash up the avacado till smooth
  • Finely shop the garlic, chilli, corriander, tomato and peppers and mix into the avacado
  • Add in squeeze of lime, lemon and zest plus season to taste then mix it all in (add in any extra spices you like and dairy free cream cheese here if you want them)
  • Eat with corn chips, rice cakes, ryvitas, etc...
The lemon and lime will stop the avacado going brown so put any leftovers into a container/mug/bowl to enjoy later if you don't scoff it all in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment